| || |
Geocaching GPS Event-in-a-box
Welcome to our one-of-a-kind Geocaching GPS Event-in-a-box, a ready-made system designed specifically for group geocaching-style events. The Event-in-a-box comes with:
The Event-in-a-box comes with a pre-paid return shipping label, so after the 4-day time period is up, just re-package all the materials and send it back to us. The default period is 4 days (including the day you receive the GPS units); however, additional days can be added for a charge of $5 per day, up to 7 days. We can also include additional GPS units for the cost of $15 per additional GPS.
Be sure to review our GPS rental policies and FAQ page, and contact us if you have any questions. We have personal experience leading geocaching events, and we'd love to help you set one up for your organization!
Suggested ActivitiesThere's a number of ways you can use these GPS units to create a custom event for your group. Here's a few suggestions:
Teach the game of geocaching
You can hold an "introduction to geocaching" event, in which you teach the basics of how to use a handheld GPS unit for geocaching.
1. Find a park or public area with a few existing geocaches, and use the included containers to add a few more of your own.
2. Load the location of the geocaches in the GPS units
3. Use a few easy geocaches to demonstrate how to use the GPS units, and then let the participants find the rest on their own
Watch the following video or check out our blog for step-by-step instructions on how to set up a custom geocaching event for your organization:
Hold a "geocaching" competition
You can use the GPS units in a variety of competition-style games. Here's one idea, but with a little creativity it can be modified to suit a number of scenarios:
1. Hide the included containers and tokens and mark the locations as waypoints. Load the waypoints into each GPS unit.
2. Divide your group into several teams, with one GPS unit per team.
3. Have the teams compete to see which team can bring back a token from each hidden container to a pre-determined location first. Award prizes for first, second, and third place finishers.
Have an orienteering class
Use the GPS units to teach map and compass skills to your group. Again, this can be done in a variety of ways, but here's one suggestion:
1. Position the 5 geocaching containers containing the colored tokens at 5 different locations. Mark the locations of the containers on a paper map.
2. Divide your group into 5 teams, with one GPS unit per team. Give each group copies of the paper map with the locations of the containers marked.
3. Have each group navigate to and from the location of a different container, using the GPS to help verify their location on the paper map. Have them bring back a colored token to prove they found the container. Then, have them repeat the process for the other containers.
These are just a few suggestions, but we're sure you can think of some better ones! Again, we have personal experience leading these types of events, so if you need help organizing an event for your organization, give us a call at 866-797-4687, or contact us by email at email@example.com.
Specifications for the eTrex Summit HC
Display size, WxH: 1.3" x 1.7" (2.8 x 5.4 cm)
Display resolution: 176 x 220 pixels
Display type: 256 level color
Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g) with batteries
Battery: 2 AA batteries (included)
Battery life: 14 hours
Waterproof: yes (IPX7)
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: 24 MB
Accepts data cards: no
Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks
Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): no
Electronic compass: yes
Barometric altimeter: yes
Custom maps compatible: no
Outdoor GPS games: yes
Hunt/fish calendar: yes
Sun and moon information: yes
Tide tables: no
Area calculation: yes
Picture viewer: no
What's in the box?
*5 Garmin eTrex Summit HC GPS units
*5 Official Geocaching micro-style ammo containers (1 in. x 1.5 in.)
*25 colored tokens (5 different colors)
*Instruction sheet and user manual for GPS units
*1 USB cable to connect GPS units to a computer
*Batteries for all the GPS units
*Pre-paid return shipping label
Create a Waypoint
Create a Route
Use the Barometric Altimeter
Use the Electronic Compass
Loading maps and transferring data from a computer